Psst! This post probably contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase. As always, I only recommend products and services I trust.

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan is pure heaven. I don’t know whether it’s the sky-capped mountains, the morning mist floating on the water, the three volcanos looming over the lake or the traditional Mayan women washing clothes along the shoreline, but this place is magical!

WHICH VILLAGE TO STAY IN

Lake Atitlan, which translates to: “at the water”, is a mountain lake in the highlands of Guatemala. It is situated at an altitude of 1,560 metres and is rounded by small towns, with the most popular ones being:

  • Panajachel (the largest)
  • San Marcos (the spiritual mecca)
  • Santiago (the souvenir shopping town)
  • San Pedro la Laguna (the backpacker’s hangout)

Personally, I would choose staying in San Pedro any day. We visited San Marcos and Santiago while we were there, but I found the former too quiet and the latter too crowded and touristy.

Map of Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

HOW TO GET TO LAKE ATITLAN

If you’re coming from Guatemala City, I recommend you take a minibus to Panajachel. It takes about 3 hours. Once you’re there, it’s fairly easy to get around the lake. Simply take a ferry or book with a private boat company to get across the lake. Boat service runs between 6:30am and 7:30pm.

Public boats from Panajachel

  • Panajachel – San Marcos: 20Q
  • Panajachel – San Pedro: 25Q
  • Panajachel – Santiago: 25Q

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

INTRODUCING SAN PEDRO LA LAGUNA

We lived in San Pedro la Laguna, a small backpacker place with a laid back feel and relaxed atmosphere. It reminded me of a mixture between Pai and Haad Rin in Thailand. The town is on the west side of the lake, resting at the foot of San Pedro Volcano (3,020m). I fell for this place immediately, and our hotel was right at the shores so we could watch the sunrise from our window. Jackpot!

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

HOTEL LAKE ATITLAN 

We stayed at Sak’cari and paid $40 per night. Even though San Pedro is a pretty small town with only 10 minutes from north to south, Sak’cari was close to “town central”, Internet cafés and several great restaurants. Plus, it’s right next to a volcano! The location was just as great as the hostel.

San Pedro, Guatemala

INDIGENOUS PEOPLE

The lake is surrounded by many villages, in which Maya culture is still prevalent and traditional dress is worn. However, while most locals are indigenous people there’s a strong presence of Christianity.

I first saw this contrast at a travel agency in San Pedro. I was entering the store and behind the desk sat a traditional Mayan woman listening to christian gospel music on the stereo. It just seemed bizarre, but after looking into it, I found out that Guatemala actually consists of 99% catholics and protestants, leaving only 1% following the indigenous Mayan faith.

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

HIPPIE VIBE

Ask any Guatemalan and they’ll call San Pedro: Hippie Central. Why? Well, somehow the place has become a magnet for backpackers with dreadlocks, lip piercings, spiritual seekings and bare feet. At the shores of Lake Atitlan you’ll find one yoga class and spiritual meditation after the other. It adds a certain atmosphere to the town, making it the perfect place for pure bliss and relaxation. Even though I’m not that hippieish or new agey, I love! the vibe at Lake Atitlan.

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

BEST RESTAURANTS

Where to eat: Atitlan has countless of hot restaurants and diners.

  • Breakfast: The Clover, an Irish tavern at the lake that serves delishious meals
  • Dinner: Hummus-Ya, an Israeli restaurant making the best falafel in the Americas.

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

San Pedro, Guatemala

WHEN TO VISIT LAKE ATITLAN, GUATEMALA

You can visit Lake Atitlan all year round, but you’ll get the most clear blue skies and fresh sunny days from November to April. December and January are the coolest months, but they offer the best views and landscapes.

San Pedro, Guatemala

Have you visited Lake Atitlan? Would you?

Pin to Pinterest

I don’t know if it’s the sky-capped mountains, the morning mist floating on the water, the three volcanos looming over the lake or the traditional Mayan women washing clothes along the shoreline, but this place is magical! Are you visiting the gorgeous Lake Atitlan in Guatemala? Here's some tips for what to see and where to stay.